Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanksgiving in Prague


There won't be any turkey for us for Thanksgiving this year. No family soccer, no game of Hotels, no hot tub, no Reiman's Friday dinner. But who can complain when living here in Prague! Missing American holidays is interesting. Lucky, we have a multi-national extended family here to give thanks for and that we can count on to spend holidays with. We can also give thanks to the numerous people who email, call, and write, making us feel very loved! Thank you!

First things first: The story of Lappy, our faithful laptop computer.

Lappy was purchased by Tina and I almost two years ago. Since then she has served faithfully, helping us both with work-related tasks and also entertaining us. However, when we were packing for Prague we thought we would simplify our lives and leave some of the technology at home. Whoops. Instead of simplifying things, some things were more complicated. We found ourselves trying to borrow our friend's laptops, and Lappy wasn't so old that it would make sense to buy something new to replace her. Besides, how could we do that to her? She had been in the loving hands of Bennett for two months before the call went out that we needed her sent to Prague. Lappy left Bennett's care on the 4th of November and began her "migration" to the Czech Republic.

On the 15th of November I received a letter that said I had mail from the USA waiting for me at customs. OK, I thought. I could not make it to customs on that day due to prior obligations: the Czech national soccer team was playing Norway and I didn't want to miss the game. Thursday was a holiday (16th anniversary of the end of communism) and so on Friday, after teaching a few lessons, I went to find the customs office. Luck was on my side, and after only 20 minutes of wandering around a less-than-photogenic part of Prague and practicing my use of the Czech word "kde" (where) I found the post office. Unfortunately, things took a turn for the worse. I found no English signs, and only one English speaking employee, and all she knew was how to say "no" I soon discovered. I showed them my letter and they sent me to a room. I showed them the same letter, and they sent me back to the previous room. I was then asked for my passport, and then after much Czech speaking by the customs workers, I was shown a piece of paper with a number written on it: 4,160. The number of Czech Crowns they wanted to charge me as a duty. That number is equal to $160. Way too much. So I called my school, and asked one of our office workers to translate for me. After their conversation, the customs worker promply closed his window and I was told a word I understood: lunch.

An hour later, I was still waiting. The customs officials returned, and I continued to try to plead with them. I tried to say "Mam stari Notebooky" which means "my old notebook" and to tell them that it wasn't new and that I shouldn't have to pay so much. It was getting me nowhere. I knew that I could not pay so much, but I didn't know what else to do. Then a miracle occured! From behind me I heard a voice say "can I help with translation?" and I knew that I had a chance to take Lappy home that very day. My new best friend listened to me explain my situation and then launched into Czech. About two minutes later, I showed the customs worker a form that was in my bag purely by chance but that was signed by our landlord and proved that I had a lease and was living in the Czech Republic. He finally relented, and after stamping my letter about eight times in multiple colors, pointed to the next window. It was a miracle! Within ten minutes I was signing for Lappy and she was delivered to my hands! After 14 days in "migration" Lappy had completed her journey. I asked my Czech translator his name, and asked Tom if I could buy him a coffee. He drove me to a really interesting restaurant near where he works. (I hadn't been in a car for over a month!) I'm just starting to drink coffee, and Tom and I talked about everything from Iraq and Bush to US tourist visas to Czech English students, Skoda cars, and the difference between US and Czech restaurants and especially waiters and waitresses. I went home, fired up Lappy, and sure enough she is working perfectly and I am using Lappy right now to type this message! Which I admit is long and most of you have scrolled down already to see the pictures, because with Lappy's arrival comes exciting news: We will now have a much easier time blogging, emailing, and especially sharing pictures!

So, here you go. These are older, because we haven't had the means to post them until now. Enjoy!

Kristina biking on Bornholm back in early September. Look! She is heading towards AND away from you!

The two of us standing in front of Hamlet's Castle in Denmark.



Much more to come soon. Happy Thanksgiving!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home