Wednesday, September 28, 2005

TEFL

The TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) program in incredible. I have worked so hard in the past three weeks. I've taken 4 Japanese lessons (to put us in the position of a student without any language skills), 3 Czech lessons (so we can get around) and about a million English grammar lessons. I've also taught 4 lessons, given 2 one-to-one lessons and taught 2 grammar presentations (If you'd like to know anything about the Future Perfect Simple, I've got it for you). Tomorrow, I'm teaching my class the difference between Present Perfect and Present Continuous. The way they teach us though, I can absolutely say that I understand all these things! I feel like I am absorbing so much information and I love it. We have heard from many graduates of this program that it is by far the most challenging program in Prague but that it is also definitely the most well respected. Everyone who has graduated has gotten more jobs than they can handle and have felt really well prepared for it. Below you can see Pete, one of our teachers. He is brilliant and he owns 56 Rolling Stones albums - can you tell? He is the polar opposite of Terry, our other teacher (who is also amazing). They are both British and have taught English all over the world. If you have a chance, I highly recommend moving to Prague and taking this course - even if you could only come for the month long course. I could not be more impressed.

I echo Kristina's sentiments. Not only are we in class for at least 6 hours a day and then twice a week teaching Czech citizens how to write, read, speak and understand English, but we are also having loads of fun. For example, today we started off a discussion of Present Perfect (By the time the police arrived, the thieves were already gone) by talking about attractive celebrities and then watching a clip of "Beavis and Butthead". Who would have thought...
Tomorrow I am teaching the possessive uses of "have" so wish me luck! We continue to find new restaurants and hangouts and frequent our favorites from the first few weeks here. Like Kristina, I would also recommend this course to anyone who has ever thought about teaching or who just wants to be able to explain things in a clear, simple, and completely understandable way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home