Apartments, Jobs, Trams, Oh My!

A lovely flower in the middle of Wenceslas Square. "Wenceslas" is the English translation of "Vaclavske" who was one of the first great kings of Prague. You can see the National Museum in the background. In Czech that would be "Narodni Muzeum."

One of the beautiful sights of Prague that everyone should see: Massive construction projects! Although there are malls and Ikeas built on the outskirts of Prague, they have done an excellent job with urban planning and continue to build shopping centers... wait, you should be sitting down for this... near where people live! So they can take the bus or tram or subway to go shopping! I know, it sounds crazy. But it seems to be working!

Our last day as TEFL students! Allison, Tina and I decided to celebrate our graduation by running from Vysocanska (the northeast of Prague) to the center of town. I brought along the camera, of course, and was rewarded magnificently. Look at some of these shots! You might recognize someone...



There are times when the Charles Bridge is not completely covered by tourists. (Hint: 7:00am) At these times, words are not needed. It is a great time to talk shop with postcard photographers, since dozens of them are out for the sunrise. Too bad I don't speak Czech! I did learn that "tripod" is "stativ" in Czech, but that is as far as my photography vocabulary goes. Regardless, a great way to start the last day of one of the best months of our lives!

We wanted to save on rent and live with our friends Allison and Liz, and so together we looked at several apartments. We looked at this one, about 25 minutes from the center of Prague, but realized that it was out of our price range. Not a bad view, though.

Our amazing teachers and staff: Terry, Pete, Cheryl, and Trish. Bravo for a job well done!

All good things must come to an end, or at least that is what I am told. A final farewell to the Villa and to living in Vysocanska!

Moving is always an adventure. Especially when you have no car. But using the trams, (see below) and the metros we were able to make two trips across town in a reasonable amount of time. We were in a bit of a time crunch, since we had job interviews in the afternoon, but we moved into an apartment (here you say "flat") in Mala Strana on the west side of the river from downtown Prague.


Outside our flat's windows we can see a square known as Malostranska Namesti. The trams here zip us from place to place, as you can see!

By looking out our windows to the left we can see the back of Saint Nicolaus Church.

This is looking straight out our windows and in the background is the eastern end of Prague Castle.

I mentioned a job interview, and I got a job. This is where I work. The building on the right is the headquarters for Ahold Central Europe. They own grocery stores around the world, and this office building is the HQ for stores in Poland, Slovakia, and the Czech Republic. I teach English to just over a dozen employees who want to improve their English skills.

Tina and our roommates. At first we loved the subway system, but that seemed to be a fad and lately we have all fallen in love with the trams.
Thanks for reading!

2 Comments:
This is Jim, I miss Josh...and Julie also. Aren't those pictures great! Keep up the good work.
Dad
You guys! Your view is blowing my mind!
good stuff. keep it coming!
Post a Comment
<< Home